Family and Immigration Petitions in Newark, NJ

Petitions in Elizabeth, Morristown, Jersey City, NJ and Throughout New Jersey

If your family needs help immigrating to the United States, you can file family based petitions in Newark, NJ at the law offices of Tesoroni & LeRoy.

US Citizens

Are you a US citizen? You have plenty of opportunities to help your family obtain permanent resident status in the U.S.

A U.S. citizen may petition for:

  • A Spouse or fiancé
  • Unmarried children under the age of 21
  • Sons and daughters over the age of 21, single or married
  • A spouse’s children under the age of 21 and 21 or older with certain additional requirements
  • Parents
  • Siblings

The first step in this process is to file an I-130 visa petition with the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services. You must establish the relationship between yourself and your family member. Next, after the petition is approved, your relative may be eligible to adjust their status in the U.S. to lawful permanent resident or apply for an immigrant visa in the American consulate in their home country.

Non-US Citizens

Permanent residents—those with a green card—may file on behalf of:

  • A husband or wife
  • Unmarried children under 21
  • Unmarried adult sons or daughters of any age

The process for a permanent resident is similar to that of a citizen. Once you establish the relationship and the petition is approved, your relative may be eligible for adjustment of status in the U.S. or may be required to process an immigrant visa at the American consulate in their home country. A preference system is in place for the family of permanent residents. Visas become available based on the filing date and the preference status. The preference system is controlled by a numerical quota.

Refugees and Asylees

Refugees and asylees may file a petition with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services department (USCIS) to have a spouse and children granted immigration rights within the first two years of their asylum. In all cases, family related to a member of the armed forces may receive special consideration.

In keeping with the USCIS, immigration lawyers can oversee the process of immigrating a loved one into the United States. If you need to file family petitions in Newark, NJ, contact the law firm of Tesoroni & LeRoy at (973) 482-4249.